Currently, I am in a discipleship group with four men who meet each week to discuss a study we are doing. Apart from the daily study and the weekly meeting, we memorize Scripture. A few weeks ago, our Scripture verse was 1 John 2:6, “whoever says he abides in Him ought to walk in the same way in which He walked.” (English Standard Version) Over the past few weeks, I have continued to meditate on this verse. I have thought to myself what does it mean to “walk in the same way” as Jesus? Let me share with you some of my thoughts:
Walking in the same way as Jesus means:
1. Show love to others. Jesus consistently showed love to those around Him. While we may differ with others with regards to various things, we should still show them love and respect. John 13:34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.
2. Share the Gospel with others. Jesus was about making the Gospel known to others. It’s not enough for us to talk about sharing, we must share the Good News with others. John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
3. Spend time disciplining. Jesus took a small group of men and helped them grow spiritually. We should be investing in a few who will then, in turn, invest in others. Luke 11:1 Now Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples.”
4. Show an active prayer life. Jesus was often found praying. That is why the disciples ask Him to teach them. The reflection of our prayer life should be evident to others. Mark 1:35 And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, He departed and went out to a desolate place, and there He prayed.
5. Stand firm on God’s truth. Jesus was the truth and also spoke the truth. He never backs down from the truth. Neither should we. John 8:31–32 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
1 John 2:6, whoever says he abides in Him ought to walk in the same way in which He walked. — How is your walk these days?